The Parish Laity Council is charged by the Decree on the Apostolate of the Laity [Apostolicam Actuositatem] with the goal of intensifying the apostolic activity of the laity by promoting and coordinating parish lay initiatives. So whereas individual groups are responsible for organizing and directing their own activities, the Parish Laity Council is charged with the coordination and promotion of lay apostolic zeal amongst parishioners.
Aims and Objectives
The Parish Laity Council is set up for Promotional and Coordinating roles:
- The Parish Laity Council is responsible for the regular [annual or bi–annual] promotion of all parish lay initiatives with the goal of educating parishioners and getting them more involved in parish life. Such occasions are also useful for the introduction of new initiatives that are planned by the Parish Pastoral Council [PPC] as needed for the achievement of parish goals.
- The Parish Laity Council from time to time researches the needs of the parish and proposes the introduction of new lay initiatives to the Parish Pastoral Council or to parishioners as approved by the Parish Priest.
- The Parish Laity Council embarks on campaigns to recruit members of the laity into programmes that help them discover their spiritual gifts and talents thereby empowering them for apostolic work.
- The Parish Laity Council researches new proposals on parish apostolic initiatives and making recommendations to the Parish Pastoral Council on their proper classification and fit into the parish.
- Promotion of apostolate formation such as instruction in Theology, Ethics and Philosophy, Culture, Good Human Relations, Human Values, Living Fraternally with Others, Cooperating with Others, Striking Up Friendly Conversation with Others and Leadership Skills. This is achieved by engaging the services of relevant pastoral groups where applicable or by outsourcing.
- Promotion of research and study in the apostolate filed and on specific lay and human problems such as departures from the ethical and religious order in all spheres of life which pose a danger to Christian life.
- Discerning the particular and common needs of lay groups with similar areas of apostolate for the purposes of advising and providing resources for the formation of individuals and leaders for intensified apostolic activities.
- Dealing with unexpected crises, obstacles or interruptions and efficiently getting back on track and preventing further crises.
- Assessing the apostolate development needs of the parish and facilitating filling the needs.
- Developing and implementing an annual calendar of leadership, management and social skills development programmes for equipping the laity to be effective in their individual and group apostolates.
Leadership Team of the Parish Laity Council
Mr. Anthony Omogolor – Chairman
Charles Ikechukwu – Secretary